Sunday, February 14, 2010

And just like that...

someone is taken, gone, and no longer with us.

I was scrap booking with my good friend Val when my phone rang-the display showed "7200000000"...which is a call from work, the main office.

I answered the call and it was a member of our Administration.

"Melissa, we've had a tragic death here at the DA's office..."

I don't really know what else was said...or I should say I don't really remember what else was said.

What I do know is that a young member of our office is now gone-taken too soon, without warning, without reason.

I met Briana over a year ago when she was still in law school. She was working as an intern in county court and then later was moved to work as an intern in felony. Briana was a bubbly, funny, bright, hardworking girl in her mid-twenties. I remember when she had come back after taking the bar, nervous waiting for the results...I remember telling her to "relax and take a deep breath"-I had total confidence that she would pass.

Of course I was right- Briana passed and was giddy with celebration when she came back to work after getting the results.

So when I got the call on Saturday, I was shocked.

Shocked, and reminded that life is precious and far more unpredictable than I'd like it to be. Reminded that each day truly is a gift and that each day could be our last. Reminded that you can say "thank you" enough.

Reminded not to wait until tomorrow...there may not be one.

You'll be missed Briana ... by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment