Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pregnancy & Produce - 16 wks


(a little late...but better late than never)

This past week was a little chaotic, between an emotional Dr's apt, work being really busy for both of us and trying to get out of town for a much needed weekend in the mountains with friends...well, I fell behind on updating the blog.

This week, our baby is the size of an Avocado!

Our information from http://www.babycenter.com/ this week:

"Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop."

First of all, I love avocados so I have no problem picturing how big our little avocado is right about now. In fact-we have about 4 on the counter right now. Secondly, can I say how absolutely fascinated I am with these updates?

I also get updates from another website, http://www.whattoexpect.com/ and this week their update really got me smiling:

"Listen up: Tiny bones in your fetus's ears are in place this week, making it likely that the baby can hear your voice when you're speaking (or singing in the shower)at 16 weeks pregnant. In fact, studies have found that babies who are sung to while they're in the womb recognize the same tune when it's sung to them after they are born... "

For those of you who know Matt, he is a HUGE music lover...so this bit of news really made him smile. This little avocado is going to be born recognizing, Phish, Government Mule, Yonder Mountain String Band, Queens of the Stoneage and Allman Brothers if Matt has anything to say about it! Ha!

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment